With Bachmann’s help, You Can Run raises funds to bring Christ into public schools

By Andy Birkey
Friday, November 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm
Bradlee Dean at a high school assembly

Bradlee Dean at a high school assembly

A controversial ministry that says it preaches Christian doctrine in public schools held a fundraiser in Bloomington Thursday night, drawing a crowd of about 400. At its “Appeal to Heaven” fundraiser, You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International offered attendees a preview of its new documentary, a greeting by Rep. Michele Bachmann and a fiery sermon by founder Bradlee Dean, who called liberals “criminals” and urged attendees to fight a “war” for the faith against liberals.

The almost exclusively white crowd had assembled at the Sheraton ballroom in Bloomington to raise funds for the ministry and its outreach to public high schools across the Midwest, a practice that some civil liberties groups say violates the Constitution’s principle of separation of church and state.

Ron Stone, general manager for AM 1280 The Patriot, introduced Bachmann, a longtime supporter of the ministry.

“There’s a huge difference today between Republicans and conservatives,” he said. “She’s a true conservative. She’s not afraid to say she believes in God. She’s taking the bullets that a lot of our Republican men are standing back in the shadows and allowing her to take.”

He explained that Bachmann’s “House Call” rally against health reform last week prevented her from attending in person. “Michele was excited to be here tonight, but due to the events of last week, you can imagine she had to reschedule a lot of things.”

In a four-minute video message, Bachmann said, “I’d hoped to be there, but unfortunately the future that’s being forged here in Washington, DC … is one that saddles today’s youth with tremendous debt, a diminished world presence, and diminishes their God-given freedoms.”

She praised You Can Run’s mission. “It a tough job that you do, but someone has to do it. I thank God that he has given you the strength and the resolve to fight for our timeless values.”

And she reiterated her support for their work evangelizing in public schools. “We can’t overlook the outright rejection of God in the public school classroom, and the outright scorn of Christianity in our public square,” she said. “Moral relativism is exalted and faith in Christ is derided.”

Attendees also got a glimpse at the group’s documentary film called “My War,” which chastises America’s educational system for not teaching from a “Judeo-Christian” perspective and rails against atheism. In one clip, a teacher asks a student whether God exists if he can’t be seen. Another student chimes in: Since she couldn’t see the teacher’s brain, it must not exist either.

The highlight of the night was a lengthy sermon by Bradlee Dean calling for Christians to pick up arms against secular government that he said was foisting of socialism on the nation’s people.

“We are a Christian nation regardless if you like that or not. The Bible says we are called as ministers of the flame, the fire,” he said. “We are called to war. We are called to fight the good fight of faith. In other words, what I’m trying to say is, I’m a trouble maker, okay?”

“It’s time to say, ‘We are done complaining, and it’s time to start fighting.’ But you say, ‘I don’t know what what I’m going to look like with a sword in my hand,’” he said. “You are going to look great!”

Then Dean offered sharp words for those he disagrees with.

“We are not a land of liberals. We hear this all the time. Why don’t you just call them for what they are? Criminals. Why don’t you just call them for what they are? Socialists. They are contrary to our constitution,” he said.

That prompted a round of “Amen!” from the attendees.

“We are not a land of homosexuals,” he shouted. “God said ‘Adam and Eve’ not ‘Adam and Steve.’”

Then, referencing one of President Obama’s openly gay appointees, he said, “We all know about [Kevin] Jennings, the new czar for safe schools, is a blatant homosexual. Oh, by the way, he wanted me to send you a message: ‘Go F- yourselves!’ That’s what he said. He wrote a book called ‘Queering the Elementary Schools.’”

One woman shouted in the audience, “Oh, no!” Others shook their heads in dismay.

“Yes. That’s just the tip of the iceberg, folks.”

Jennings did write the foreword to a 1999 book called, “Queering Elementary Education.” In those three pages (his entire foreword is available on Google books), he talks about eliminating homophobia in the schools and says, “When eight-year olds already know that “gay” equals “bad,” we shouldn’t be surprised when they get old enough and mean enough, they act out that message by tying one of their peers to a fence and beating them to death,” referring to the murder of gay college student Matthew Shepard the previous year.

The Minnesota Independent could not substantiate the claims by Dean that Jennings told him to tell the 400 people assembled Thursday night to “Go f- themselves.”

As he wrapped up the sermon, he thanked the attendees. “You guys, you got just a little bit of the message we give to youth all across the nation.”

Tickets went for $50 and tables of 10 for $500. At 40 tables, the fundraiser likely brought in over $20,000.

Related: ‘They demonize me!’: Bradlee Dean talks about MnIndy reporting of his ministry

Follow Andy Birkey on Twitter

MN Guy
Comment posted November 13, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

The American Taliban rides again. This is the kind of twisted thinking that is protected by the same constitutional rights as everyone else unfortunate that hate speech is so widely admired. Narrow minds and violent tendancies.

Eva Young
Comment posted November 13, 2009 @ 7:50 pm

Thanks for reporting on this Andy. It’s interesting that Bachmann bravely ran away from this public appearance.

Comment posted November 14, 2009 @ 9:06 am

If Mr Dean (who ranks himself as “overseer” of his organization) wants to take up the sword against our country, I recommend that he do so as soon as possible. That would guarantee him some time to think about his purpose while in jail. Alternately, if he wants to fight for our country, well, there’s the Army, the Marines, etc. He’d never make it as a real soldier, but it would be good to seem him with a haircut and he might learn a few things about our constitution – something he seeems to have heard of but really doesn’t know about or understand.

Comment posted November 14, 2009 @ 12:36 pm

I am a Christian and I went to the same private school with Bachmann’s children. However uplifted I could have been at the pastor’s rally cry, I was dismayed at the hate at the end of the speech. Christians are commanded to LOVE and stand firm in the face of adversity; Not hate and shout war crys. I am dissapointed that because of some groups and people, the entire religion has been tarnished. I support Bachmann’s right to her beliefs even if I do not entirely agree with them, as i hope everyone would do for me.

Lois Manning
Comment posted November 14, 2009 @ 1:14 pm

As a proud American atheist/humanist, I can prove that I’m a more loyal American than Bachmann and her fellow zealots: I would NEVER propose rebelling against our beloved Constitution to replace it with ANY religious scripture, whether it’s the Torah, the New Testament, the Koran, the Rig Veda or whatever. Obviously, she would. That, in my mind, makes her as much a terrorist against our American government as Bin Laden is.

Comment posted November 14, 2009 @ 6:42 pm

I want to say that I attended public schools (Many years ago) in the South. My teacher had a list, chart, on the blackboard, & if you had attended religious services (she included Jews) you GOT POINTS. If you had not, in the last week, YOU GOT DEMERITS. We all had to stand up and say if we had attended services, & she noted that on the board. It affected your grade. Then, friends, a wonderful, life- filled woman named Madayln Murray O’Hair went to court and ended this oppressive practice.

Bachmann and all who follow her, are totally enemies of human freedom. I firmly believe that, and I, myself, won’t adhere to a damned thing that they say or do.

Hey! What I’ve just said is Extreme, isn’t it? But I mean absolutely every word I’ve said.

Comment posted November 14, 2009 @ 9:28 pm

Didn’t Kevin Jennings shield a pederast that molested a kid in a public school? And this is they guy that Obama picks to head up school safety?

That’s nuts! That is the kind of idiocy from the left that fuels the religious nuts on the right.

You people are your own worst enemies.

Comment posted November 14, 2009 @ 11:04 pm

Dumb all over, and a little ugly on the side.

Eric Ferguson
Comment posted November 15, 2009 @ 12:51 am

Threats of violence aren’t protected free speech. The speakers might say they meant words like “fight” and “sword” in a purely metaphorical sense, but they certainly go right up to the legal line. I’ve noticed conservatives have gotten very good at this.

Comment posted November 15, 2009 @ 11:29 am

“Didn’t Kevin Jennings shield a pederast”

You’d think something like that would be easy to find on a non-alternate reality news site on the internet….link, please. So far the answer is no.

Wellstone's Ghost
Comment posted November 15, 2009 @ 11:38 am

Bachmann’s message of christianist theocracy hate fortunately only rings with extremist groups. The attack on the separation of church and state needs continued light shined on it.

THANKS Andy for this fine report.

Comment posted November 15, 2009 @ 1:38 pm

Bachmann and fiends: keep your right-wing fanaticism out of our public schools!

Comment posted November 15, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

Gad can’t distinguish between FAUX and reality..

T-Paw Is A Jerk
Comment posted November 15, 2009 @ 9:18 pm

This is terrible. Michele Bachmann should be in jail for what she has done to the good citizens of Minnesota. This is against the Constitution.

Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 8:39 am

As they say, nothing disinfects like sunlight and your putting the light on this group should end their dream of getting into public schools under the guise of “secular” performers. Thank you.

Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 10:18 am

Get this. Lefties are claiming that since the kid who was molested by his teacher was 16, Jennings didn’t really shield a pederast.

Oh yes, that’s going to fly!

Like I said, you people are your own worst enemies.

Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 11:50 am

Bradlee Dean is a pervert and a predator. He goes to schools, preaches hate and tells our children how their parents and teachers are steering them down the wrong path. He then separates them and tries to recruit them into his ministry. He’s not trying to save anyone. He is preying on the most vulnerable children in our society. This man should be barred from entering any school in this country. Come on! When will someone acknowledge that this man is a Minnesota grown Jim Jones! And Michele Bachmann thinks this is exactly what our society needs.

Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

This is from the article you liked…
In 1988, I had taken a bus home for the weekend, and on the return trip met someone who was also gay. The next day, I had a conversation with Mr. Jennings about it. I had no sexual contact with anybody at the time, though I was entirely legally free to do so. I was a sixteen year-old going through something most of us have experienced: adolescence. I find it regrettable that the people who have the compassion and integrity to protect our nation’s students are themselves in need of protection from homophobic smear attacks. Were it not for Mr. Jennings’ courage and concern for my well-being at that time in my life, I doubt I’d be the proud gay man that I am today.

- Brewster

What problem do you have with that? It’s not something from lefties it’s from the person you’re saying was molested and as far as i can tell nobody was molested or a minor. You righties just make it up as you go don’t cha?

Bradlee Dean just reinforces my opinion that if Jesus returned today, it would be the christians who would crucfy him. Jesus was a liberal, all you have to do is read his quotes to discern that. More willfull ingnorance from the right. Don’t bother with the truth it just get’s in the way of your agenda.

Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 1:47 pm

“Were it not for Mr. Jennings’…..I doubt I’d be the proud gay man that I am today.”

Like I said; go with it…and watch the evangelicals multiply and become more powerful every day.

Nut cases left and right.

Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

Schools already have enough propaganda.

Steve H
Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 6:51 pm

I must have missed the part where ignoring the Constitution and overthrowing the government became “conservative” values. Barry Goldwater must be spinning in his grave.

T Benjamin
Comment posted November 16, 2009 @ 8:21 pm

Gadzooks I read the link provided and it seems FOX News owes Mr Jennings and the young man an apology. The situation was nothing like you claim. And what is wrong with knowing you are gay at 16? You make is sound so dirty. If you dont like homosexuals dont be so obsessed with them. Dont imagine over and over again in your mind what they do. Most homophobes long for the experience IMO.

Comment posted November 17, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

Listen to Bradlee Dean. Do you think he actually cares about saving souls? He barely cares about the people he considers like-minded. His self-centric speech is evidence of his desire to develop a cult, a following. This is all about him.

He is preying on the most vulnerable in our society: our children.

Consider this proof: He disguises his mission when marketing his tent show to schools. After his vaudevillian act, he separates the boys from the girls. This is where the brainwashing begins. The minds of our children are so suseptible to indoctrination from someone who is put forth as an authority figure by another authority figure. Does he ask the children to go home and discuss his presentation with their parents? Are parents invited to his show? No, he gives out pamphlets, yet again disguised as a continuation of a secular message. Parents think their children are listening because his message is delivered with rock music. The children are listening because they are captive. They are in school. Everyone goes to the assemblies. Once he has hooked a few converts, he sends them out to recruit. Eventually, he has a cult: followers who will do anything he asks and believe everything he says.

What does this remind you of?

In time, with a lot of fundraising, Bradlee will find a town separate from the rest of society that he himself will name. Only his followers will live there to protect them from the unbelievers. Paranoia will set in. Firearms and ammunition will be hoarded. No one will be able to leave.

It’s just a matter of time.

Comment posted November 20, 2009 @ 8:40 am

What I don’t understand is why this isn’t a bigger deal to people. Thanks to the poor economy and Tim Pawlenty’s unallotments, budgets on the state, city and school district level are hurting and there’s not enough funding for projects we could all consider worthy of public funding. This one, which pretty clearly breaks district rules about overtly religious content in public schools, not to mention the constitution, is getting my taxpayer dollars? Plus, for a politician to support such a violation of the constitution is bizarre, especially when that politician (Bachmann) claims to be a defender of that exalted document as it’s written.

Comment posted November 28, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

Poor Bradlee – you make such a pathetic little victim! The dominionists want to rule the world. REALLY??!! Not on my watch – you losers. Get a job you little bitch.

..a Criminal

Bachmann Pal Bradlee Dean Calls U.S. Marshall Appointment “a Crime” (Because She is a Lesbian) « Minnesota Rag
Pingback posted January 23, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

[...] Dean, a special friend of Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, had this to say about Lubinski’s appointment today on his AM 1250 The Patriot Sons of Libery [...]

Michelle Bachmann no longer funny « The Word Warrior
Pingback posted June 11, 2010 @ 11:21 am

[...] band-cum-ministry You Can Run But You Can’t Hide, US Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) told the band, It a tough job that you do, but someone has to do it. I thank God that he has given you the [...]

Comment posted June 12, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

It is really sad how delusional some of you are!
BETTY: Are you that much of a Drama Queen, or do really believe what you wrote? Pathetic!!
How many of you that keep spouting off about the Constitution have read it? Or is it, “I don’t need to read it. I know what it says.” Or do just regurgitate the vile lies that you hear from your leftie cohorts?? How many of you view it as a Living Document, or better yet as your president does, “Fundamentally flawed?”
Read the founding documents…And then read the actual writings of the Founding Fathers. They don’t fit into your PC, tolerant, naive LA-La Land either.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS ~ Enjoy your bliss.

Rep. Michele Bachmann Tied To Christian Band That Calls For Gays To Be Executed
Pingback posted June 14, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

[...] has praised the band, saying, “It a tough job that you do, but someone has to do it. I thank God that he has given [...]

Target: Between Hard Rock Gospel and a Bad Place |
Pingback posted August 7, 2010 @ 1:48 am

[...] to the Republican Party of Minnesota. Long a cause célèbre for Rep. Michele Bachmann, who has twice lent her name to the group’s fundraising efforts, You Can Run (YCR) had a booth at the GOP convention in April, and the group’s frontman, Bradlee [...]

Michele Bachmann’s Top Ten Anti-Gay Quotes | The New Civil Rights Movement
Pingback posted June 2, 2011 @ 7:02 am

[...] 2009, Bachmann helped raise funds for You Can Run But You Cannot Hide International, a Christian youth ministry that holds [...]

Homogenized religious dogma and political ideology: A toxic blend of vows and pledges | Intrepid Report.com
Pingback posted August 8, 2011 @ 11:16 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.