Target’s reputation takes a hit after gift to MN Forward

By Andy Birkey
Tuesday, September 07, 2010 at 8:45 am

Brandweek, a weekly trade magazine for the marketing industry, notes that Target’s reputation or “buzz” took a serious hit in early August and has not recovered. The Minneapolis-based retail giant came under harsh criticism in August for making political donations to MN Forward, a Republican-run independent expenditure committee that is backing GOP-endorsed candidate Tom Emmer for governor. Each week, Brandweek issues a “BrandIndex Report” which is “a weekly consumer perception report that analyzes the most talked about brands based on buzz: The scores are based on weighing positive and negative perceptions of a brand.”

Target’s reputation dropped sharply in early August and, after a slight bump, plummeted again in late August. Brandweek reports, “Although Target’s score recovered modestly from Aug. 12 through Aug. 24, it sunk again due to a rash of major newspaper op-eds, blog posts and publicity surrounding televised boycott ads from MoveOn PAC.”

Here’s the magazine’s analysis of Target’s “buzz” in July and August:

Follow Andy Birkey on Twitter

Comment posted September 7, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

It’s my sincere hope that Target’s reputation continues to decline. I’m doing my part among everyone I know.

Comment posted September 7, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

I think it’s important to remember that anything that a business does is done to improve its bottom line, including charitible giving such as Target’s. I guess that doesn’t surprise me.

What does surprise me, is Target’s claim that they support their gay employees, while at the same time making a donation to a politician who doesn’t.

Comment posted September 7, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

Will never shop at Target again. Follow the paper trail. Even the CEO of Target has donated personal funds to these groups.

Comment posted September 7, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

Never shopping at Target again unless they replace their CEO. They need an anti-hate overhaul. It’s not asking much even of a company to not pay politicians to support the killing of LGBT people.

Kathleen M Lake, MA
Comment posted September 7, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

What has happened to the state of my birth, Minnesota? Tom Emmer has blood on his hands. He is a very bad man and he is responsible for creating an environment where three (count them … three) Minnesota teens would rather take their own lives than be bullied anymore in school. Connect the dots Mr. Emmer (who openly admits contributing to a hate group that advocates the murder of gay people). Connect the dots… you and people like you have encouraged the persecution of innocent kids. I am sure that those teens who tortured these gay kids to death felt justified even righteous. You, Mr. Emmer, have blood on your hands. And so does Target.

Comment posted September 9, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Will forever be loyal to Target, now.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.