Top Stories

Several legislators who want to ‘protect marriage’ are divorced, records indicate

marriage 80
By Andy Birkey | 05.18.11

In testimony before Minnesota Senate and House committees last week, religious leaders and representatives from religious right organizations cited single-parent families and a skyrocketing divorce rate as reasons to protect marriage from being redefined to include same-sex couples by “activist judges” and “handfuls of legislators.” And GOP members rebuffed efforts by DFLers to include a ban on divorces in a proposed ban on gay marriage. However, a number of the legislators who say they want to protect marriage appear to have been divorced.

Gingrich gets glitter-bombed by pro-gay protester

gingrich glitter 80
By Andy Birkey | 05.18.11

At a book signing in downtown Minneapolis on Tuesday, presidential candidate Newt Gingrich found himself covered in glitter. Gingrich was in town raising funds for the Minnesota Family Council along with fellow presidential contender Rep. Michele Bachmann. Prankster Nick Espinosa shouted, “Feel the rainbow, Newt,” as he poured glitter on the former Speaker of the House. “Stop the hate. Stop anti-gay politics. It’s dividing our country and it’s not fixing our economy,” Espinosa said.

‘That’s not pro-liberty’: Conservatives come out against GOP marriage amendment

same-sex marriage 80
By Andy Birkey | 05.17.11

While state Republicans are spearheading the contentious move to put a constitutional amendment barring same-sex marriage on the ballot next year, not all conservatives are behind them. In recent weeks, a number of conservatives — ranging from small-government and libertarian groups to gay Republicans — have spoken out against codification of marriage laws within the Minnesota Constitution. Some say the amendment is contrary to liberty, while others have taken on social conservative groups such as the Minnesota Family Council.

High schooler challenges Bachmann to debate on U.S. Constitution

bachmann 80
By Andy Birkey | 05.13.11

A high school sophomore from New Jersey is challenging Rep. Michele Bachmann to a debate on civics and the U.S. Constitution. In an open letter to Bachmann, Amy Myers of Cherry Hill, N.J., said, “I have found quite a few of your statements regarding The Constitution of the United States, the quality of public school education and general U.S. civics matters to be factually incorrect, inaccurately applied or grossly distorted.”

After viral video fame, Rep. Simon slammed by religious right for pro-gay comments

By Andy Birkey | 05.10.11 | 8:17 am

Rep. Steve Simon, DFL-St. Louis Park, briefly flirted with folk hero status in the LGBT community and beyond last week after comments he made in opposition to an anti–gay marriage amendment went viral. He asked, “How many gays must God create before we accept that he wants them around?” And with that increased attention, Simon has drawn the ire of religious right figures who have called him “evil” and a “blasphemer” who should be immediately removed from office.

Video of Rep. Simon’s remarks have generated just under 500,000 views on YouTube:

That footage drew harsh criticism from Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network and Exodus International, a group that says it can convert gays and lesbians to heterosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ.

Exodus International’s Randy Thomas questions Simon’s theology at the 9:30 mark:

“This is their life and they want your children,” said James White of the Alpha and Omega Ministries. “They can’t have them themselves so they’ll get them any way they can.”

“Those that are evil generally don’t sound evil,” he said of Simon’s remarks:

“Give me a stinkin’ break. That is blasphemy, Mr. Simon,” said Bradlee Dean of You Can Run But You Cannot Hide. In response to Simon’s remarks saying he believes God created gays and lesbians, Dean compared LGBT people to thieves, liars, adulterers and fornicators.

He mocked the idea that homosexuality may be an innate quality. “‘Oh, I was born this way. I can’t help myself.’ Really? Then you belong in jail.”

Dean agreed: “Immediately! He is violating your constitution, he is violating his oath, he is violating the God he’s supposed to serve and the people that he serves.”

Here’s audio of Dean’s full remarks:

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 8:31 am

Let the nut jobs scream their bloody heads off about this. We knew they would. It only makes them look like the fools they are.

I’m disgusted!

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 8:45 am

“Fools” is much too tame a word for who they are and the hate that drips off of them. I can’t believe they represent any religious entity. They are pure evil.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 8:46 am

Nice knowing my rep pi**ed off bigots nation wide. Great job!

Joe Bodell
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Aren’t Robertson and his crowd all about Israel and being friends of the Jewish people? One has to wonder how that squares with calling a great American Jewish leader like Simon an evil blasphemer.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Perhaps he didn’t care, since religion is a choice and many of these virulently anti-gay people are choosing — knowingly and deliberately — to be scumbags who lie about the contents of the bible and try to force their satanic views upon everyone. It’s not Simon’s problem that the anti-gay are breaking commandments left and right. You are the ones who will answer to that, not him. Get over it, crybabies.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 9:16 am

“Those that are evil generally don’t sound evil?”

Really? Because you sound pretty evil.

Dog is my shepherd
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Listening to Simon’s calm, measured, thoughtful statement in contrast to the hate-filled santorum spewed by these supposed “ministers” really makes it easy to observe the moral and theological bankruptcy of the “religious right” (in my view, they are neither religious nor right), in all of its skanky nastiness.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 9:59 am

“evil” and a “blasphemer”

He just might be in your choice of Religion and your Choice of lifestyle.

there is no evil or blasphemer in LAW since there is no RELIGION IN LAW

Mike W.
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 10:22 am

The whole tone of what has transpired here exposes two issues. First is the language we use in this debate that is based on rigidity and inflexibility. Rep. Simon asks a serious question in fairly neutral tone, and the response he gets is one derived from an absolutist position that has no margin for interpretation. The other item is the lack of religious left–or even center–to try and act as a counter-balance. When the Interfaith Alliance becomes as powerful as the Christian Coalition, then maybe this will be true. The actions of Robertson, Dean, et. al make me embarrassed to call myself a Christian.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 10:29 am

The religious right is simply in agreement with God, documented in scripture that marriage is the union of one man and one woman. “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” – Genesis 2:24

Recognizing anything else is disagreeing with God. Calling people that agree with God haters, bigots, evil, etc. is calling God a hater, a bigot and evil. Rep. Simon is irrational for calling God these things.

This video shows the true nature of support for gay-marriage, which is hatred of people that have a religious conviction, anti-god, anti-morality, anti-individual freedom which is the source of prosperity. Rep. Simon is asking for the oppression of our nation’s freedoms and prosperity, and this is why he should immediately resign. He is clearly in support of ideas that would do nothing but work to destroy the nation.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Well then while you’re disagreeing with the gays, Tim, go ahead and let it be known that God also believes that “I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.”

No gay marriage and no free speech or jobs for women. Here here!

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 10:53 am

The religious extreme right has no hatred against their personal choice to live within their convictions and terms with their God. No one is Hatting your God.

Your God is not my God, for you to say anything else is false. I do NOT hate something that does not hold any truth for me.

Definition of Bigot: is to be intolerant of anything that differs from ones owns opinion.

I am tolerant of your opinion, I take no offense for you to live within your personal convictions. The minute you tell me that I can not live within my own convictions is when the word Bigot comes to play.

You do not tolerate that there are people that fully support same sex marriage or support people that are homosexuals because it differs from your opinion.

Religion is a choice not fact.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:05 am

that holds nothing for me. I am not a Christian. I do not support your choice of lifestyle in your religion for myself. This is only for yourself. NOT FOR ME! Stop trying to force your religion onto me. I will NEVER make you accept that a man and a man is married. You NEVER HAVE TO MARRY Man, your church will never be forced to put a ritual act or ceremony to join two men. Since it is only a ceremony it is not LAW. Two people who get married have to sign a state contract that states that they are married. God has no legal effect, even in your own religion. You have to sign a document from the state that says your married for you to have legal clarification that you are indeed married.

I am NOT married in the eye of any God. For I have no organized religion that I hold within my Convictions. That does not mean I hate your God. I am sure he is a nice guy, I am happy for the two of you!
Your religion is not law!!!

Paul V
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I am so disgusted. No wonder I quit religion at 12. Its inconsistant and mostly used to further personal agenda.

As for the video. Gawd does not make anything, nature does. To believe anything else is superstition.

Superstition is a credulous belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge. The word is often used pejoratively to refer to folk beliefs deemed irrational. This leads to some superstitions being called “old wives’ tales”. It is also commonly applied to beliefs and practices surrounding luck, prophecy and spiritual beings, particularly the belief that future events can be foretold by specific unrelated prior events.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:13 am

I watched Representative Simon’s testimony live. I emailed him and said thanks. I have watched it since, and shared it on Facebook. I’m going to watch it again right now, just to drown out the vitriole of these hateful homophobes who purport to be christian.
And again, I will say it – I am quite sure that Bradlee Dean is gay and hates himself for it.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:22 am

I find it interesting that Extremists love being victimized. There’s nothing like screaming at your enemy that they have violated your God and because of that, they have the right to obliterate you. I wonder how these men feel about the Islamic Extremists that I can almost assure you they supported going to war against.

Victim retribution is a powerful rhetorical tool and can be easily employed to sway supporters to your cause, but come on now Christian Extremists, it’s getting old. Allowing people to speak isn’t against God’s will. You cannot selectively choose passages from the thousands of the versions of the Bible that support your point. Although certainly not a broken context quote, I find the First Corinthians 13:13 “And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” to be quite useful here. God’s greatest law is to love, not to punish. Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s. Sound familiar? Probably not. Google it. God does not want to rule our laws. He has given us One Law. It is that which he tells us to pursue that grants forgiveness: love. You can waste your time screaming blasphemy and trying to take from Caesar what is his, but don’t invoke the name of God to do it. Just admit you’re doing what makes you feel good. Not what satisfies God’s One Law.

Oh and if you’d like some others that support my point:

Galatians 5:14 (RSV)
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, “You shall love your
neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:8 (RSV)
Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves
his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

Romans 13:9 (RSV)
The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not
kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other
commandment, are summed up in this sentence, “You shall love your
neighbor as yourself.”

Romans 13:10 (RSV)
Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling
of the law.

James 2:8 (RSV)
If you really fulfil the royal law, according to the scripture,
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well.

Proverbs 10:12 (RSV)
Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

1 Peter 4:8 (RSV)
Above all hold unfailing your love for one another, since love
covers a multitude of sins.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Religious people like this are why I don’t want to live on this planet anymore

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:48 am

CJM – I’ve also watched it several times and it brings tears to my eyes every time. It’s not only the words he speaks, but how he speaks them.

In a way, I’m glad these radicals are going bonkers over this. The more they rant, the more they scream their absurdities, the more they expose themselves for who they really are. I have to believe, people will notice this. People will not want to be a part of their hate.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

That dude just said God was being violated. Presumably in the @ss! Speculation of course but I can’t really see any other method of violation.

[Jake McMillian, Dean’s sidekick, called for Simon to be removed from office. “He deserves to be kicked out of office and dethroned from his position.”

Dean agreed: “Immediately! He is violating your constitution, he is violating his oath, he [[is violating the God ]]he’s supposed to serve and the people that he serves.”]

Man gays are some powerful stuff!!

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Robertson should just shut up and be happy about all the pain and misery he causes in Africa supporting Charles Taylor and the like. To be considered “bad” by such an evil, immoral jerk is a badge of honor to me.

Progressively Queer
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

Hahaha, I haven’t thought about James White in years! Not since I was a conservative Calvinist, anyway. I used to idolize the man.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

@ TIm
“This video shows the true nature of support for gay-marriage, which is hatred of people that have a religious conviction, anti-god, anti-morality, anti-individual freedom which is the source of prosperity.”

I don’t follow you when you say that support for gay-marriage is hatred of people that have religious conviction. It doesn’t say that you can not practice your religion, it saying that homosexual couples will have legally recognized marriages, recognition which is acknowledged by the government, not any particular religious group. As far as anti-god and anti-morality, I’d have to say that depends on your views of the world, expressing those views is a right we are provided in the law of our land. Just as you have your right to base your views on a particular religion, others should be entitled to base their views on a different religion or no religion at all. As far as individual freedom I don’t see how allowing a certain demographic access to a marriage license is going to limit your freedom. By giving a group access to societal benefits, don’t we further individual freedom rather than restrict it?

Rep. Simon is asking for the oppression of our nation’s freedoms and prosperity, and this is why he should immediately resign. He is clearly in support of ideas that would do nothing but work to destroy the nation.”

He’s not asking for the oppression of prosperity. Not at all, not once did he ever mention that is his speech. You are drawing conclusions that will fit your argument against gay marriage. You create a relationship between gay marriage and the prosperity of this country. If you can convince people that there is a link, one which supports either the prosperity of this nation or the right to gay marriage and not both, then you force people to make an exclusive choice between two things that are not mutually exclusive. Besides, it seems like if we all stop spending our time an energy fighting this gay marriage issue then we would be able to spend our time doing something that might actually contribute to the nations well being.

Citizen Zed
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Cheers to Rep. Simon. This hysteria about sex is hard to fathom … especially how it manages to get away with calling itself ‘Christianity’. I’m sure these pompous worshipers of creation will love this piece here:

‘Course the main figure is quoted as observing that the “hetero/homo distinction is a purely cultural creation, and not a fact of biology” but it just goes to show there’s nothing “unnatural” about homosexual phenomena.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

How many Palestinians must God create before the Zionists realize he wants them around?

…..yeah, that’s what I thought. People hate, and they aren’t going to stop hating just because someone asks a rational question.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

“He continued, “Blasphemy! But here the homosexuals are praising him. This guy is reprobate. He is off the radar folks. You need to be removed! Yes, I said it from the pulpit, you need to be removed!” ”

Does this quote strike anybody else as an assassination order?

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

BLASPHEMER! lol these people from the middle ages should not be allowed anywhere near running our country

Dog is my shepherd
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

@ Tim, plenty of Christian clergy disagree with you. How is it that you understand the Bible better than they?

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

Man, why is it that the homophobic Christians are the main ones to be heard? Can’t we hear from some Christians that wouldn’t be mistaken for Westboro? Seriously, gays aren’t criminals, and they shouldn’t be treated as such. I completely agree with Steve Simmons.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

I hope for your own sake you are being sarcastic. Your capacity for doublethink is astounding and must be either the product of the intentional application of your intelligence or the unintentional spewing of your stupidity.

Allowing two gay people who love each other to get married is the epitome of hatred and the antithesis of freedom? I really wish all you ‘loving’ and ‘tolerant’ religious people would go rapture yourselves off a cliff.

Keith Wilson
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Go, Simon! Keep up the good work!

The idea that a gay marriage would somehow destroy the institution of marriage is preposterous.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Tim has his god’s cell phone number and talks to him throughout the day.

–Tim’s god: Hey Tim, god here again. Sorry to bug you, but I wanted to ask for your thoughts on gay marriage. And oh–before I forget–enough of that internet porn for a while, ok? It’s not part of my plan. It’s a sin, ya know? Try going for a jog…masturbation…EVIL…E-V-I-L–I’m telling ya! Ha! So, where were we…?
–Tim: Gay marriage. I’m opposed.

-Tim’s god: Oh, ok. Well, I guess that means I should be too. Thanks bro! I always know I can depend on you!
-Tim: Let me know if I can be of service again.

-Tim’s god: Catcha later sweetcakes!
-Tim: Ooo…thank you sky father!

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

“The religious right is neither religious nor right”

-Don’t remember who

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Randy Thomas doesn’t look one bit gay, no, not at all….

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Grow up people, and realize that the US Constitution is not bound by your interpretation of scripture. Never has been, and so long as I draw breath, it never will.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

“…. Calling people that agree with God haters, bigots, evil, etc. is calling God a hater, a bigot and evil.”

If the shoe fits…..

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I find the fact that homosexuality is compared to pedophilia, bestiality, and necrophilia rather ridiculous. What ever happened to Christ’s teachings on unconditional love? Of turning the other cheek? Of tolerance and forgiveness?

Homosexual marriage hurts no one and by denying them this basic right, you’re actually bringing more attention to the issue. What people do in their bedrooms, so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else, is none of your business.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Tim’s phone rings again.

Tim: Hello?
Jesus: Hi Timmy. It’s Jesus. What are you wearing right now?

Tim: Hey Jesus! I’ve been meaning to call you. I’m dealing with some heretics and blasphemers down here who need a good smiting.
Jesus: Well, they may, but I was calling to talk about you. I’ve been thinking about you lately, wondering when you’re gonna pay me a visit. I’m getting sort of lonely.

Tim: You mean…die?….and…and go to heaven?
Jesus: Well, yes, but not quite yet. I don’t wanna pick your grape before it’s time–ya know what I mean, sweetie?

Tim: I guess.
Jesus: I often think of us–just the two of us–sharing, holding, touching…doing the things we do in heaven…

Tim: I…look forward to joining you and the holy ghost and god in heaven with all the angels Lord!
Jesus: Oh, and we do have angels here, do we ever.

Jesus: Well, I better git and skedaddle. But don’t forget Tim, I have special–oh so special–plans for you. Don’t forget to think of me, your special Jeezy, when you read the Bible.
Tim: You’re always in my mind, Lord.

Progressively Queer
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

lawlz @ Eric. You are my savior. :D

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

“In response to Simon’s remarks saying he believes God created gays and lesbians, Dean compared LGBT people to thieves, liars, adulterers and fornicators.”

Odd, why try to lower the status of LGBT’s by comparing them to other Christians (also known as: thieves, liars, adulterers, fornicators, and executive directors at non-profit ministry organizations).

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

@Tim: I can’t imagine the amount of doublethink required to say gay people should be locked up but talk about how much you love “individual freedom”

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

That James White Guy said, “Those that are evil generally don’t sound evil” I disagree.
He, Bradlee Dean, and Jake McMillian all sound pretty evil to me. Evil, hate filled, mongrels of fear and loathing for anything that they feel is different.

Funny how so many of the “good christian brothers and sisters” that want to tell you how great/loving/forgiving/benevolent god and his teachings are, then they follow that up with how other people should die/be jailed/exiled/persecuted for being different. Seems like they are sufficient with god being good and nice, so they do all the ruthless, mean, terrible things instead.

I know there are good and honest people of the christian faith, it’s just a shame that the terrible ones are so much louder and more pronounced.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

Thank you, my son.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

The hate that flows from one side appears to be equal to the hate from the other.

So it appears that “hate” isn’t as much the problem as the views held by the other side…

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

God?? Grown adults should not believe in fairytales.

Richard Prince
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Most people believe in a separation of church and HATE but these so-called Christians pick up the Bible and preach hatred toward other human beings. There isn’t a Christian bone in their bodies.

John The Gay
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

I found all this rather easy to masturbate to.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

I’m not religious any longer, spiritual yes, religious not so much. I grew up around it though, and I remember my grandmother (who was a very good christian, the type that thought God’s main message was love) warning about false prophets. She always told me that the bible warned of them, how they would come claiming to represent the word of God, but they would distort it into something evil and hateful. She always used to say they would bring the deception that would make Christians follow Satan without knowing it. So, if you want to go from a purely religious stance it would appear to me that these hate mongers and liars are the false prophets my grandmother warned me about. The bible talks about them, Jesus talks about them, which is ironic because Jesus never said a damn thing about gay people. I’m gay. I love my partner and he loves me and we are a family. We go to work everyday, we follow the law and we pay our taxes. That last one, taxes is very important because we can’t get the same protections from the government that straight couples get, but we contribute the same way they do, technically more because we don’t get the tax breaks that married couples get.The government is not religion based, it has nothing to do with Christianity and the constitution guarantees equal protection under the law. My partner owns a home but because of financial reasons from my past, my name is not on the loan. We split the costs of everything equally. We had to spend thousands of dollars to lawyers to guarantee that if something happened to him that our house would pass to me. His mother is very homophobic and he knew if he wasn’t here she would try to take the house from me. We have done all that we can to ensure that doesn’t happen but as our lawyer said; because we aren’t married she could still challenge his will. Not to mention that if something happens to one of us the one left would have to pay taxes on the inheritance and there is nothing we can do about that. That is just two of the over 1000 rights marrige guarentees.This is discrimination in the truest sense of the word. I am a second class citizen in my own country. It makes my blood boil when these ‘christians’ say that my partner and I being legally married discriminates against their freedom of religion therefore going against the constitution. My being married doesn’t prevent you from believing what you want! No body is going to force your church to marry gay people! This is about the law and it protecting everyone equally! We aren’t asking for anything ‘special’ or extra. We are just asking for our peice of the American dream and the rights we are guaranteed by the constitution. This hatred and spinning the truth has got to end, it’s not fair and it is very very UnAmerican.

That Guy
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 6:37 pm

I’m pretty sure Bradlee Dean of “You Can Run But You Can’t Hide” is going to jail for tax evasion… his place recently closed. That wasn’t very Christian of him… stealing and all… He should shut the fuck up.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

It’s a false choice between nature and nurture.

There are personal traits which we cannot help having, yet we are not born with them.

Can you help the foods you like? But would you say you’re born liking certain foods?

Zera Lee
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

So in summary:

God makes some people gay, and they believe that Jesus Christ will countermand God’s Will by making them heterosexual.

And they call Rep. Simon the “blasphemer”?

Article VI of the Constitution explicitly forbids any religious test as qualification for any office or position of public trust in the United States.

Calling for someone to be removed from office based on religious beliefs is unconstitutional and, arguably, sacrilege.

Zera The Disestablishmentarian
Trackback posted May 10, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

How many gays does it take to change a mind?…

I watched Rep. Steve Simon on the Minn. House floor the other day, and I was impressed. All the DFLers were posing excellent questions that the republicans persistently evaded – even complaining that they keep getting the same questions. I was re…

Neil H
Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

For those who don’t know the significance of calling someone “reprobate”, the term comes from Calvinist theology, and refers to someone whose soul God has irrevocably damned: they are never going to be “Saved”, ever. All that talk about how Christians must love and forgive their enemies so that even the enemies can be brought to Christ? Doesn’t apply to reprobates.

There’s more to it, like how the utter evil of the reprobate is still part of God’s Plan, in that the reprobate’s total humiliation and final annihilation demonstrates God’s power and majesty, but the most relevant part for this situation is how it provides a neat loophole for people who claim to be Christian to utterly hate someone and still call it Godly.

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

And from we have this piece of garbage:

Comment posted May 10, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

How many murderers does God have to make…

What is being mocked is Simon’s terrible reasoning, and it says quite a bit about his supporters.

Donald Eric Kesler
Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 3:51 am

The concept of blaspheme is ridiculous. How can the words uttered by a mere mortal have a deleterious effect upon a being that is allegedly omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient?

Disgusted American
Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 9:42 am

ahh the American Taliban since 1981 ie: Reagan ..Keep your Voodoo OUT of OUR secular Gov’t…and in your tiny minds.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 10:05 am

The bible is clear: “No one knows when they are in the presence of a wise man, but a fool runs up and down advertising his ignorance.” (Prov or Ec.)

I think that sums up the religious nut-jobs pretty well.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 10:11 am

He needs to be “dethroned?” Rep. Simon is “violating your constitution” and his oath of office by engaging in legislative debate with his fellow legislators on proposed legislation?

Civic education, y’all. We needs it. Lots more of it. I’ve met my daily recommended amount of dumb stuff read online with just those statements, and it’s only 8:15AM where I am. “Dethroned.” Simon isn’t the King of Hopkins, buddy. Do you know how we get these here people we refer to as “representatives?” Want me to tell you where a legislator comes from? Because I really, really want to explain this to you.

Paul V
Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Sometimes I just do not understand why epople cannot be responsible for themselves.

There is no god except for the ones that make good movies.

You did it, its your fault take it on the chin. You did it, you won take your prize and put it ip on the shelf.

The constitution helps keep the playing field as fair as possible. Yep our for fathers did it. Thinking things through and then of course a majority of it being dumb luck. The main point being it can be changed to protect the rights of the minority.

I laugh at you god people. You do the stupidest things and don’t accept your own responsibility in the action. What a waste of time.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 11:38 am

OMG i just actually watched the response

They want your children! The christian extremest is more dangerous than ever. I hope the word gets out, the public gets how dangerous they are. I will not use the natzi word, ooops I just did.

I almost got physically sick at this man and his hate.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I would caution all not to throw all those who abide by a religion in the pot with these whackjobs. There is a wide spectrum of views on the issue of gay marriage from those who do and do not practice a religion. Even within a particular faith there can be a range, i.e. the US Conference of Catholic Bishops has come out against legalizing gay marriage, but that is not a dogmatic issue. (The definition of marriage is set; as far as I understand the political ramifications of that are left to the individual). There are many who 1. have no problem with any aspect of homosexuality, 2. believe homosexual sex to be wrong (along with premarital, extramarital, contracepted, etc), and/or 3. don’t believe gay marriage to be religiously valid but don’t necessarily have any problem with a civil recognition of the legal rights and privileges it affords. Personally, I don’t see why the government is in the business of governing something that is fundamentally religious anyway. Marriage is an institution before God, not one that is subject to regulations before Man. Why can’t we adopt the European system where there are separate marriages for the Church and State?

Anyway, just remember that while you criticize the religious right for its hatred and bigotry that you not become guilty of the same in throwing all religious individuals in with them. There are those who, despite believing in an objective moral code, can still love and respect all people regardless of their actions.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Thank you for voicing your opinion in a calm and rational manner. I agree with your first paragraph, am slightly perplexed by your second, and disagree with your third completely.

I support gay marriage because I support individual freedom—your argument makes no sense to me. I do not hate those with religious convictions, although many people I know do. The freedom to be gay, under your argument, should be a source of prosperity for ‘the nation’—and I’d argue it is.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Wooo, there are a lot of scary people out there calling themselves “Christians.”

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Presbyterians Approve Ordination of Gay People

See that? -Mike Cullinan, Tim, Nachman…

The tide is turning against your ignorance and bigotry.

Katie B.
Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Where’s the budget? Where’s the jobs?

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

@ Kate

One is not married till the state documents are signed. One can get married without religion. I did.

Comment posted May 11, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

@ Kate

You have a religious city-state in Rome. Feel free to move there. But any attempt to assert Roman jurisdiction or impose any religious state on Americans will likely trigger the next civil war. No hyperbole intended.

Praise Jebus, God hates those pesky, free thinking, Americans, Amen.

Comment posted May 12, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Ok, so we’re going to quote the bible, yet again…Judge Not Lest You Be Judged of Matthew…that seems like a big one to remember, right? LUKE 12:57: “Yea, and why not even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?”PSALM 37:30: “The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.”

All I hear are judgements, as though people (in groups) have taken the place of God. The Bible also talks about having slaves and the treatments of such property. We no longer head that chapter much, even though it’s one of the first. This leads me to believe that Man picks and chooses as he goes along.

Therefore, just being mean and paranoid and judemental from the picking and choosing what words and phrases one is going to choose to suport is really quite stupid. For me, it has never been the GLBT who killed off God or my Country…but the people in these religious groups….they have killed their own God and are certainly a huge threat to our Country and overall wellbeing.

What I do with my soul will only be up for discussion without a peanut gallery at the pearly gates…should there actually be any.

Comment posted May 12, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

I will say, his conclusion that God makes, therefore God wants, can be extrapolated toward a lot of illegal/immoral but somewhat innate tendencies, like pedophilia, rape, other violence, kleptomania, alcoholism, etc. So it’s pretty easily targeted by anti-marriage equality folks, who simply have to lump gays in with their list of undesirables (which most have done already). It’s like saying “How many pedobears does God have to make before we accept pedophilia?”

However, kudos to him for making his stance clear, opening himself up for some pretty incendiary responses, etc. The vast majority of his speech is pretty strong. Unfortunately, the most quotable line is not.

Comment posted May 13, 2011 @ 9:58 am

These people wouldn’t know blasphemy if it stared them in the face – i.e. the prosperity gospel, using the bible to justify slavery, sexism, homophobia, etc. etc. etc…

Nevertheless, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop with Rep. Simon. I found my inner former-fundie self flipping through scripture & theology that would dismantle his pro LGBTQ argument. None of the Christian Right’s response surprises me. If anything, I’m surprised anyone else is surprised Simon is being put through the biblical wringer. Christians fighting Christians… one spectator sport I never tire watching.

Comment posted May 13, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Dev whines:

“How many fundamentalists does God have to make for us to realize that He wants them around?

How many murderers does God have to make…”

And calls that flaw with Simon’s reasoning. It’s not. Simon prefaces his question pointing to mounting evidence that homosexuality is *not* a choice. Therefore, they are created that way by God.

Unless you also claim that being a fundamentalist or murder is inborn instead of a choice, then Simon’s logic stands, and his quote carries great power.

And if being a fundamentalist is inborn (instead of just inbred) then their whole house of cards falls.

Comment posted May 13, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

“Those that are evil generally don’t sound evil,”

Case in point: evil dominionist Talibangelicals like Randy Thomas and Bradlee Dean. Give them just an ounce or so more power and they’ll be firing up the ovens and gas chambers in the name of TEH LAWD…

May – Week 2 Summary « Junketing
Pingback posted May 13, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

[...] Ever wanting to spread their wholesome Christian love, religious right figures aren’t happy with Rep. Steve Simon for his comments made in regards to his state’s recent attempts at passing an anti-gay marriage amendment. He asked, during hearings over the amendment, “How many gays must God create before we accept that he wants them around?” Ever since that question was asked he has been referred to as evil and a blasphemer who should be immediately removed from office. Bradlee Dean of You Can Run But You Cannot Hide, showing off his blind ignorance, mocked homosexuality by saying during his program, “‘Oh, I was born this way. I can’t help myself.’ Really? Then you belong in jail.” He continued by saying that Steve Simon was “violating your constitution, violating his oath, he is violating the God he’s supposed to serve and the people that he serves.” How is he violating the Constitution? Sounds more like you want to violate it by not allowing him to speak his mind during a hearing. Violating his oath and God, how, that’s your opinion and certainly not grounds for his removal from office. (Full story on Minnesota Independent) [...]

Comment posted May 13, 2011 @ 9:57 pm

“You can safely assume that you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” Anne LaMott

Mark Crook
Comment posted May 13, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Hearing people like Tim who spout what scripture says about marriage, assuming that a marriage is only legitimate if preformed in a Christian church ( I guess no other religions have marriage, huh?) Then say that disagreeing with the bible means you are against god… Blah, Blah, Blah… The Bible also says it’s OK to stone your wife or children if they disobey you, then they condemn other cultures for following that law. I do feel, however, that they would be OK with putting gays to death, which those same cultures do… I’m so damn sick of people using Christianity as a mask to push their homophobic, sexually repressed, racist, hateful, insecure, ignorant, littleman syndrome fed bile on the rest of the country. “Freedom of religion” as long as it’s christian. “All men are created equal” as long as they are rich and white. “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” as long as it is OK whit them. They make me sick. If there is a god and these are his people I’ll take my chances elsewhere. Heaven will be way to full for me… and Hell will have ten time as many.

michelle elise
Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 6:55 am

The constant lessons in life whether from the bible or from experience…. is forgiveness and love and the inability for a human to pass correct judgment upon another human. we need to start living with unconditional love for each other and all other living beings here with us. We dont know how much longer we all have or each of us have as individuals in these lives. We must live with love now or surely we will suffer within hate as our souls journeys carry on.

Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 7:24 am

So how may pedophiles must God “make” before we accept them? Talk about begging the question. The man should have been laughed off the floor.

C.L. Ward
Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Homophobes who have these reactions yet deny bigotry or kneejerk xenophobia love to use the Bible to justify their attacks, often while chowing down on shrimp, baby-back pork ribs, and chicken-fried steak in cream gravy (all of which are Biblical no-nos). But this is the huge one they conveniently forget.

Matthew 7, dudes, Matthew 7:

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Wow… they sound like American Taliban, requiring all to follow the dictates of their religion. I wonder if they even realize that?

Wendy Leigh
Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Kiev art museum contains a curious icon from St. Catherine’s Monastery on Mt. Sinai in Israel. It shows two robed Christian saints. Between them is a traditional Roman ‘pronubus’ (a best man), overseeing a wedding. The pronubus is Christ. The married couple are both men.

Is the icon suggesting that a gay “wedding” is being sanctified by Christ himself? The idea seems shocking. But the full answer comes from other early Christian sources about the two men featured in the icon, St. Sergius and St. Bacchus,2 two Roman soldiers who were Christian martyrs. These two officers in the Roman army incurred the anger of Emperor Maximian when they were exposed as ‘secret Christians’ by refusing to enter a pagan temple. Both were sent to Syria circa 303 CE where Bacchus is thought to have died while being flogged. Sergius survived torture but was later beheaded. Legend says that Bacchus appeared to the dying Sergius as an angel, telling him to be brave because they would soon be reunited in heaven.

While the pairing of saints, particularly in the early Christian church, was not unusual, the association of these two men was regarded as particularly intimate. Severus, the Patriarch of Antioch (512 – 518 CE) explained that, “we should not separate in speech they [Sergius and Bacchus] who were joined in life”. This is not a case of simple “adelphopoiia.” In the definitive 10th century account of their lives, St. Sergius is openly celebrated as the “sweet companion and lover” of St. Bacchus. Sergius and Bacchus’s close relationship has led many modern scholars to believe they were lovers. But the most compelling evidence for this view is that the oldest text of their martyrology, written in New Testament Greek describes them as “erastai,” or “lovers”. In other words, they were a male homosexual couple. Their orientation and relationship was not only acknowledged, but it was fully accepted and celebrated by the early Christian church, which was far more tolerant than it is today.

Contrary to myth, Christianity’s concept of marriage has not been set in stone since the days of Christ, but has constantly evolved as a concept and ritual.

Prof. John Boswell3, the late Chairman of Yale University’s history department, discovered that in addition to heterosexual marriage ceremonies in ancient Christian church liturgical documents, there were also ceremonies called the “Office of Same-Sex Union” (10th and 11th century), and the “Order for Uniting Two Men” (11th and 12th century).

These church rites had all the symbols of a heterosexual marriage: the whole community gathered in a church, a blessing of the couple before the altar was conducted with their right hands joined, holy vows were exchanged, a priest officiatied in the taking of the Eucharist and a wedding feast for the guests was celebrated afterwards. These elements all appear in contemporary illustrations of the holy union of the Byzantine Warrior-Emperor, Basil the First (867-886 CE) and his companion John.

Such same gender Christian sanctified unions also took place in Ireland in the late 12th and early 13th centuries, as the chronicler Gerald of Wales (‘Geraldus Cambrensis’) recorded.

Same-sex unions in pre-modern Europe list in great detail some same gender ceremonies found in ancient church liturgical documents. One Greek 13th century rite, “Order for Solemn Same-Sex Union”, invoked St. Serge and St. Bacchus, and called on God to “vouchsafe unto these, Thy servants [N and N], the grace to love one another and to abide without hate and not be the cause of scandal all the days of their lives, with the help of the Holy Mother of God, and all Thy saints”. The ceremony concludes: “And they shall kiss the Holy Gospel and each other, and it shall be concluded”.

Another 14th century Serbian Slavonic “Office of the Same Sex Union”, uniting two men or two women, had the couple lay their right hands on the Gospel while having a crucifix placed in their left hands. After kissing the Gospel, the couple were then required to kiss each other, after which the priest, having raised up the Eucharist, would give them both communion.

Records of Christian same sex unions have been discovered in such diverse archives as those in the Vatican, in St. Petersburg, in Paris, in Istanbul and in the Sinai, covering a thousand-years from the 8th to the 18th century.

The Dominican missionary and Prior, Jacques Goar (1601-1653), includes such ceremonies in a printed collection of Greek Orthodox prayer books, “Euchologion Sive Rituale Graecorum Complectens Ritus Et Ordines Divinae Liturgiae” (Paris, 1667).

While homosexuality was technically illegal from late Roman times, homophobic writings didn’t appear in Western Europe until the late 14th century. Even then, church-consecrated same sex unions continued to take place.

At St. John Lateran in Rome (traditionally the Pope’s parish church) in 1578, as many as thirteen same-gender couples were joined during a high Mass and with the cooperation of the Vatican clergy, “taking communion together, using the same nuptial Scripture, after which they slept and ate together” according to a contemporary report. Another woman to woman union is recorded in Dalmatia in the 18th century.

Prof. Boswell’s academic study is so well researched and documented that it poses fundamental questions for both modern church leaders and heterosexual Christians about their own modern attitudes towards homosexuality.

For the Church to ignore the evidence in its own archives would be cowardly and deceptive. The evidence convincingly shows that what the modern church claims has always been its unchanging attitude towards homosexuality is, in fact, nothing of the sort.

It proves that for the last two millennia, in parish churches and cathedrals throughout Christendom, from Ireland to Istanbul and even in the heart of Rome itself, homosexual relationships were accepted as valid expressions of a [Christian] god-given love and commitment to another person, a love that could be celebrated, honored and blessed, through the Eucharist in the name of, and in the presence of, Jesus Christ.

“… in the evening the youth came to him [Jesus], wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.” —The Secret Gospel of Mark, The Other Bible, Willis Barnstone, Editor, Harper & Row, San Francisco, 1984, pp. 339-342.

Rush Dean
Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

Wendy, Interesting and informative article but your last line especially deserves repeating.

“The dominionist and revisionist christianist agenda is a dangerous and deceptive subculture hidden within Christianity just as Al Qaeda is to Muslims.”

They are deceptive because they wrap a strategy for extreme social control into an economic Trojan Horse then ask for it’s acceptance through the electoral process. If the nation isn’t careful it will vote itself out of a Democracy. Iran would be no better nor Iranians freer if they had elected their fundamentalist regime.

Nice work.

Praise Jebus, God hates an honest agenda, Amen.

Rush Dean
Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

Comment posted May 14, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Of course in 1858 they considered a man and a woman being defined in marriage it was 1858 how many same sex couples do you think was open about there sexual orientation???

Comment posted May 15, 2011 @ 11:13 am

I’m quite surprised that the “Christian” haters haven’t latched onto Rep. Simon’s own religion…

It surely can’t be long before the “Well, he’s Jewish and you know what THEY did to Jesus” is posted by the pinheads out there.

It’s pretty scary that the talking heads on radio and TV actually turn things upside down – fair treatment of LGBT is “taking away our freedoms” , wanting young people to be educated about LGBT matters is “they want your children” or “indoctrination” .
It’s clear that this bunch would happily turn LGBT people into criminals to be punished and imprisoned in the same way that the mentally challenged were treated in the 19th and early 20th century.

As another poster noted James White looks and acts like a closet gay and is thus full of self loathing.

Comment posted May 15, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

Steve Simon, thank you for your words, and for asking that question, which I hope will go down in the annals of history, “How many gays must God create before we accept that he wants them around.”

Thank you.

Comment posted May 15, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

I guess if someone is truly a Christian he or she should ask himself, before
he goes to judge another, what would Jesus have done. That’s what he/she should
aspire to and let god do the judging. If it’s true that homosexuality is a sin and you believe in god then let it go. And try to love your neighbor, because war is a sin and
if you war in your heart you create a war around you. Peace, let’s all try to accept one
another for the sake of peace on our planet. These are people who are trying hard, just
as hard as anyone, to live a life where they can have family and be true to themselves.
That is honorable in my opinion.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL